Accent Reduction Results
Accent reduction is a process where individuals learn how to pronounce the sounds of a language that do not exist in their first language. It enables people to express their thoughts, feelings, ideas, and professional expertise so that the speaker and listener can readily understand one another. When this happens, consulting with clients, leading teams, and collaborating with colleagues happens with greater ease and impact.
People do not need to sound the same. On the contrary, this would diminish the rich cultural diversity of our global workforce. Our mission is to create a world where everyone is heard®.
With the completion of any given Accents International training program, participants still have an accent. What they don't have is the experience of being frequently asked to repeat themselves; or worse, dismissed because their listeners aren't able to understand their message. By acquiring a solid foundation in English pronunciation, non-native English speakers become culturally competent while maintaining their unique cultural identities.
The statistics speak for themselves. The average participant sees >70% improvement after a 12 session accent reduction program.
The figure below illustrates the improvement made by 600+ participants at a Fortune 100 company.
All Accents International instructors are certified in the Ravin Method® of rapid and long-term language acquisition.
The Ravin Method® teaches non-native English speakers the articulation techniques needed to pronounce sounds in English that do not occur in other languages.
- Teaches second-language speakers how to distinguish between familiar and unfamiliar sounds
- Is rooted in the core disciplines of cognitive and socio-linguistics
- Uses a kinesthetic, visual, and auditory approach to incorporate these speech patterns on a regular, or 'second nature' basis
- Provides learning techniques to 'self-correct' during the learning process
- Creates supportive and inclusive environments that elicit maximum student involvement in his/her language acquisition process
Judy Ravin, President of Accents International, certifies university faculty in the Ravin Method® of teaching accent reduction.
Accents International's exceptional faculty members practice cultural competence and know how to create supportive, inclusive environments where differences are not only accepted, but valued.
About the Powerful Pronunciation® Team:
- Every Accents International instructor has taught accent modification at the university level and/or has a master's degree in linguistics or speech and language pathology
- Instructors are bilingual and understand, first-hand, the speech and language acquisition process
- All faculty are certified in the Ravin Method® of rapid language acquisition
- They are compassionate instructors whose primary objective is to help their clients master the accent reduction techniques for clear and effective English communication
- With 15 minutes of practice a day, the average rate of improvement is >70%. Participants have the tools to continue improving after the conclusion of the program.
- Rates of improvement for accent reduction programs conducted in Accents International's live, virtual classroom are equivalent to those conducted onsite
- 100% of surveyed respondents receive fewer requests to repeat themselves
- 100% of surveyed respondents use their skills daily
- 100% of surveyed respondents say they are more effective communicators
Accents International partners with organizations to ensure every member of their organization is heard, excels, and contributes to their maximum ability.
What exactly is "accent modification" and how does it help organizations, and their employees, further excel?
Accent modification is a process where people learn how to pronounce the sounds of a language that do not exist in their first language. It enables people to express their thoughts, feelings, ideas, and professional expertise so that the speaker and listener can readily understand one another. It lets them meet a shared objective. People do not need to sound the same. On the contrary, this would diminish the rich cultural diversity of our global workforce. The goal of Accents International's curriculum is not to teach a "correct" way of speaking — we strongly believe there are no right or wrong accents. An accent is a speech pattern, not a speech problem – we all have an accent.
With the completion of an Accents International training program, participants still have an accent. What they don't have is the experience of being frequently asked to repeat themselves; or worse, dismissed because their listeners aren't able to understand their message. By acquiring a solid foundation in English pronunciation, non-native English speakers become expert communicators while maintaining their unique cultural identities. Graduates of the Powerful Pronunciation® program speak with greater clarity, confidence, ease, and authenticity.
As one program participant put it, “No more holding back! I now bring all of me to the table!”
A Short Case Study: Leveling the Playing Field
Judy Ravin, President, Accents International
Recently DuPont Pioneer, the world's leading developer and supplier of advanced plant genetics, decided to offer American accent training to nine lead scientists identified as candidates for future supervisory roles. Each one is an expert in his/her field. Yet these scientists, while fluent in English, didn't have the repertoire of articulation techniques needed to pronounce the sounds in English that do not occur in their first language. This created communication barriers that impeded the scientists' ability to lead teams of innovators and problem solvers, characteristics that Pioneer is known for around the globe.
A year after Pioneer launched its first set of accent modification programs, I met with Pioneer leadership. What does a successful talent development program look like? Several of the managers present were the previous year's program participants!
Whether it's for communicating internally or interfacing with clients, Powerful Pronunciation® gives every team member an opportunity to advance their career.
Learn about Accents International's accent comprehension program, Inclusive Listening: Tuning Your Ear to Accents®
An accent is a speech pattern, not a speech problem. All of us have an accent. Another word for speech pattern is pronunciation. Accent reduction training provides learners with an additional speech pattern to facilitate communicating in English with clarity and ease.
Accents International teaches people how to "code switch" so they can use whatever accent they choose. Our students master how to best express themselves and be heard.
Accent reduction is NOT a form of speech therapy, because accents are not disorders.
|Speech Therapy||Accent Reduction|
|Focus||Targeted (to a specific disorder)||Global (enhancing communication strengths and mastering fluency patterns)|
|Scope||Narrow (fixing specific impairments)||Broad (comprehensive English pronunciation program)|
|Model||Medical (therapy / intervention)||Non-medical (accents are not something to be "fixed")|
Accents International has worked with companies of all sizes and across a wide variety of industries.
Learn More About Our Outcomes
Accent Reduction Classes Inclusive Listening:
Tuning Your Ear to Accents®
From Our Clients
"(This) has been the best program I have ever attended. I can say that (a) good amount of research has gone into development of the program materials. Course structure is also very well designed, it starts with the basics and slowly builds-on to add complexity seamlessly."
- Participant from a Top 5 Consulting Firm